Seasonal flu is a highly infectious illness caused by a flu virus. The virus infects your lungs and upper airways, causing a sudden high temperature and general aches and pains. You could also lose your appetite, feel nauseous and have a dry cough. Symptoms can last for up to a week.
You may be invited for a flu jab if you are:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- a carer 18 or over who receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- a social care worker
- a hospice worker
household contacts, aged 18 and over, of immunocompromised individuals, specifically individuals who expect to share living accommodation on most days over the winter and, therefore, for whom continuing close contact is unavoidable.
- or have a serious long-term health condition, including:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
- eligible children who are aged 2 and 3 on 31st August 2019 – that is, children born between September 1 2015 and August 31 2017
- Children who are 4 years old are also eligible for flu vaccination provided they were 3 on August 31 2019. These children should be offered the vaccination at their general practice.
- Children in reception class and school years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be offered their vaccination in school. In a couple of areas it might be offered in primary care settings.
Flu Clinic Times:
Please note we have no nasal flus yet. We are expecting the delivery during the half term, however that might change. We will text you when they are available. Please update your mobile number with surgery.
Liverpool Road Health Centre
- 12th , 19th 26th October and 2nd November Saturday WALK IN clinic 8:30am-12:45pm
- 23rd October WALK IN clinic at BUSHMEAD 2pm-4:30pm
- 31st October WALK IN clinic FARLEY HILL 9-12:45
If you have any queries please contact the surgery.